Friday, February 27, 2015

Emergency Room- Take 2

With the end of summer, comes the worst time of the year...for me. Hunting season.
With me feeling better, Russ left on his first hunting outing.
I decided to go up and visit my brother in Idaho for the weekend while Russ was gone.
We had a great time as usual- I broke the news to them of TWINS because I started getting a bit sick up there and its hard to hide when you're running into the bathroom every couple of hours.
One of the nights while we were asleep, Lila started breathing funny. I wondered if she was allergic to something in the room we were in because she had been fine all day and the night before.
It got worse and worse so I got her out of her pack and play to prop her up in bed with me.
I didn't sleep at all. The next morning was a really cold one- my Dad (my parents were up there as well) wrapped her up in blankets and took her out to sit on the front porch.
She came in and I couldn't keep her awake, despite all of her cousins running around and wanting to play.
My brother picked her up and she instantly fell asleep in his arms- NOT a Lila characteristic. She hates being held when she is tired and she is not a snuggler.
We decided to head out and get her home since we had a 4 hour drive ahead of us.
I sat in back with her and she wouldn't open her eyes or focus on me.
It was cold so I had her in flannel pjs. I touched her forehead and she was on fire.

We pulled over and I got her out of her pjs to cool off and get her some fluids.
She was trying to cry but nothing was coming out so I was starting to get super worried- we were still about 3 hours away from home.
My Dad held her outside while I ran into a gas station to get her more fluids besides milk.
We got home and they had a birthday party for one of my other nieces and nephews they had already committed to so they dropped me off at home and I tried to get a hold of Russ.
Because he is generally in the middle of them mountains I can never get a hold of him. Thankfully, his buddy he was with was called to a church meeting so they left earlier than they had planned and he was on his way home.
She was still burning up, I took her temperature and it was 105. She wasn't waking up, she was drooling more than usual and when she did wake up, she was just try and cry and then fall back asleep.
I told Russ and he told me to call his sister who is an ER nurse while he sped home.
I called her and after hearing her symptoms she told us to take her to the ER.
By the time Russ got home we rushed right out and by then she was at 106 and we couldn't get it to go down. I had given her meds and stuck her under our room fan and nothing was helping.
Lila loves her Dad so so much, and when he got home and she couldn't even look at him I think it scared him as much as it had been scaring me.
We got to the emergency room and there were so many people in there it made me panic. Luckily they take those they think that are more of an emergency back first so they took her back instantly since she wasn't really responsive.
She had croup, but they think her temperature went up too high, too fast and that's what they were most worried about. They gave her some more meds and we did a breathing treatment and chest xrays and after a few hours we were able to bring her home.
We are paranoid first parents and have heard nightmare stories of babies in beds with parents and them rolling on them, so we put her in her crib and we took turns sleeping on the floor next to her crib.
Luckily the steroid or whatever they gave her bounced her back pretty quick and she was better a couple days later! So scary and sad seeing your kids sick!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, that is scary! I'm so glad that everything turned out okay and that she recovered so quickly. Nothing worse than sick babies.