Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Deets

I cant believe our baby is 3 weeks old! Holy Cow..time flies when you don't sleep.
I wanted to write down the details of the day she was born. If you don't want to know, you may just want to scroll through the pretty pictures below :)
I was over due, and very ready to have this baby.
A couple days before on the 24th of July, Russ and my parents and I went to go get a huge spicy plate of Mexican food to put me into labor. That didn't work, but it was sure delicious.
My due date, the 25th came and went..and besides feeling very pregnant, I felt normal.
With each of my last Dr appointments, I wasn't progressing at all. My last Dr appointment was on my due date and he had scheduled me to go in the 31st to be induced.
On Saturday night, the 27th I was a couple days over due and Russ and I went down to my parents for a little walk down by the river so Russ and my dad could look at some deer down in the River bottoms. My mom and I walked Ecko while the boys looked through their binoculars at the deer.
The next morning, Sunday, we had planned as a family to go up to Brighton to hike around and look at the wild flowers for Wild Flower season.
I had set my alarm for 7:30 to meet my family up in the mountains a couple hours later.
I had to use the restroom at 7:25 (I hate waking up before my alarm goes off!). As I gracefully tried to get my overdue body out of our tall bed, I landed on the floor and Wala! My water broke!!
I looked at Russ in sheer horror and my legs crossed telling him my water just broke!
From that point on, it was nothing like the movies where they are rushing to get to the hospital.
I got in the shower, washed my hair and laughed my head off that my water broke. My Dr told me that not very many womens water breaks so I certainly hadn't planned on that.
Russ busted out the razor (a very rare occasion) and started shaving.
About a half an hour later, contractions started and I told Russ we should probably head that way since we had a half an hr drive!
I called my parents on the way to the hospital. They were just heading out the door to our hike. I told my dad I was sorry, and that I couldn't make the hike because I was on the way to the hospital to have a baby! My mom didn't believe me at first and then of course became so excited. Why she didn't believe me, seeing how I was 4 days over due is beyond me :)
We arrived at the hospital at 8:36 AM.
I got all set up in our room and started to really feel the contractions. They were definitely worse than I thought they would be and I hadn't even had them that long!
I got my epidural at 10:06. I was surprised how much that didn't hurt at all, and how the pain went away, yet I still felt them coming, it was weird.
For the next couple of hours, it was kind of peaceful and chill, hanging out the last few hours alone with my hubby.
Here he is, around 1:00 pm texting friends and family updates. Its probably more texting than the boy has done all year combined.
We were so excited in leaving our house for the hospital, we forgot the car seat :)
So my parents went down to our house to get the car seat and base and then came up to the hospital, along with Russ's parents.
It was fun hanging out with everyone and comforting.
At 6:00 PM on the dot, they had me start pushing. This was of course, when everyone, but Russ left the room.
We had it all planned out, that as soon as she was close to being here, Russ was going to text my sister and she was going to be by the door and as soon as she was born, she was come into the room and start taking pictures of everything!
Russ even had the text all typed up ready to send so all he had to do was push send when it was time.
I pushed for an hour...and they said she wasn't coming down enough.
Russ sent a text to our family members that I was going to push another hour.
I pushed another hour and same story.
They called my Dr and had him come in.
After 3 hours of pushing, they said she was sideways and stuck.
By this time, I was exhausted and ready for her to be here.
A girl I went to high school with, ended up being a nurse at our hospital. She came on shift and came in to our room to say hi. She said, "So you might have to have a C-Section huh?"
At this point I had no idea that was even a consideration, no one had said a word to either of us about that. I told her I didn't think so and she said maybe that was someone else, not me.
They got the vacuum out and still nothing. My Dr looked at me and said, "Im so sorry, but I am not going to put you or this baby at risk and force her out. We need to perform a C-Section".
Then he turned to everyone and said, "This baby needs to be out in 20 min" and everyone disappeared out of the room.
They immediately started dressing Russ in all the O.R garb and I started crying.
Between being exhausted and completely scared I couldn't control my emotions. I was so scared and had never even considered the thought of a C-section.
They told Russ to grab his camera which was out in the waiting room with my sister.
He came back crying, only like the 3rd time I have ever seen him cry and they wheeled me off.
After strapping me to the bed and numbing me up more, I immedietly started shaking out of control. I literally tried everything in my power and could not stop shaking. It was weird to see everyone hustling around strapping me to a bed and seeing my body shake.
My Dr is known to be not the most personable guy, but extremely good at what he does.
He was so kind, calm and sweet with me. He called me "Chels" which Ive never heard him say my name let alone shorten my name and it made me feel better almost instantly. He spoke to me so softly and encouraged me and I totally appreciated him and trusted him.
After feeling like 2 grown men were jumping on my stomach, she was born at 9:22 PM.
She wasn't breathing when she came out and I was so nervous that I hadn't heard her cry.
More and more time went by and still no cry.
At this point, they had heavily sedated me to control the shaking and I finally heard her cry.
I expected to the birth of my baby to be such a joyful, spiritual moment and it was down right scary and not what I expected.
I guess they brought her over to me for a quick look, but I was too drugged to remember. I don't remember seeing her at all.
They sent me to the recovery room, and sent her off to the nursery.
In the nursery they noticed something wrong with her hand.
That is a whole new blog post, but in there, they took over looking over her hand and tending to that.
Even thought it was so late, I was really happy our parents and my sister were there to be with her and Russ. Our parents first time meeting her.

While there were messing around with her hand, my big sister was there to comfort her.
She wasn't supposed to be in the nursery, only our parents, but she snuck in and stayed by her side while they had all types of Dr in there bugging her.
My Doctor who delivered her.

Russ was my rock through the whole thing and didn't leave her side after she was born.
He finally brought her into me when I started to wake up and I got to the be the first to hold her.
And there she is!
8 lb 6 oz
21 inches long.
We were in the hospital for 4 days.
Russ didn't leave my side for a second, but to go over to the cafeteria to get himself some food.
They kept taking her to the nursery or to get Xrays on her hand or blood work done and Russ wouldn't let her out of his sight. He would go with her everywhere they would take her.
One day, they took her to change her bandage on her hand like they did twice a day. Russ let her go and I was shocked he didn't go. They hadn't been out of the door for more than 20 seconds and he got up to go "Check on her".
I love how protective he is of his girls!
We had so much support at the hospital!
Thanks to everyone that came to visit!
My sisters kids I think were the very most excited for this baby to be born besides Russ and I.
They were so cute when they finally got to meet her!

My awesome Aunt and cousins came by and surprised us one night.
Russ's little brother and his new finace came up one night!
My amazing friends:


Her nanny came up to meet her for the first time and brought her a shirt that says
"My Nanny loves me"
The hospital staff was great.
On the last night of your stay they do a big nice dinner for you and baby daddy in your room.
I had salmon and Russ had steak.
Russ wanted me to note that he is wearing a blanket because he got hypothermia in the hospital room. I was still on my pregnancy thermostat and still hot so the poor guy froze over the 4 days.
This girl LOVES to stretch! Even in the hospital after I would feed her she just loved to lay on me and stretch!
Russ would have stayed in the hospital forever if we could. I was more than ready to go home and get light and fresh air.
Ready to go home!

Homeward Bound!



  1. 1.) Congratulations!
    2.) My grandma's name was Lila, so I don't think her name could be more perfect!
    3.) My little Katie was stuck on my tailbone and I pushed for 8 hours to get her out - it was almost at the point where they were going to say C-section, when my doctor went in up to his elbow to turn her and help pull her out with the vacuum. So - uh, I know about the first part and how exhausted (physically and emotionally) you would be.
    4.) Glad everything went well.
    5.) Congratulations again!!

  2. Oh she is just beautiful! I am glad everything turned out okay. And yes, new dads are the sexiest thing ever. Hope that's not creepy of me to say!

  3. hey lady! its been forever since i've sat down at my computer and looked at blogs. i am so happy that i ran across yours today. it was so sweet to read the events surrounding the arrival of your new, adorable baby girl. it actually made me cry a little. i got to remember all those nerves as well as all the excitement that comes with a baby. life changes so much. sometimes its exhausting and overwhelming and sometimes, well, most times its full to the brim with joy and happiness. so glad you are having a good experience as a new mom. she is darling!

  4. Lila is just too cute! I loved reading all the details. I'm so sorry that you ended up having to have an emergency c-section! Sounds scary. I'm glad everything was okay and that you're both doing well. I can't get over how much hair she has. It's darling! Hope she's been a good baby and that you're getting some sleep. :)